As we cast off and set sail for San Francisco we get an Aloha from Mother Nature as she casts a rainbow as good luck to the four of us as we begin our sailing voyage returning to California from O’ahu.
It is 17:30 as we make way up the Alamoana harbor channel to the open ocean. Our course is westerly so we can round up to the north west side of the island to avoid the nasty Molokai channel. We hope to make it home within 15 days. That is 25 days less than my trip over so I am already excited to see my wife and dogs who I have missed since leaving home To begin this adventure three months ago. Today was a long day that began at 05:30 prepping, provisioning, loose ends to tie and meeting with one of the scientists at the University of Hawaii to deliver the water samples I extracted over a longitude span of over 600 nautical miles. It was a good feeling to contribute to such a study of the radioactivity levels and micro plastics and their pattern spreading from their source and all that we gain from that knowledge. So as we leave the Hawaiian islands, a new adventure begins. Three new crew for me and all competent sailors and friends of mine. This will be a great experience!
~Captain Rod Mayer – out.
August 18 lines off at 17:30 and headed back to California. Mother Nature bids us an aloha with a beautiful rainbow over Waikiki for good luck on our sailing voyage home. Another adventure begins however not one lasting 40 says at sea but hopes of only 15. Nonetheless my new crew and I will have lots to talk about when we arrive in Oakland via the Golden Gate…
~Captain Rod Mayer- out.
24 hours after reaching our destination (Honolulu) we were asked to head 150nm back out to check in on team Pacific Warriors. In the event the hurricane changed direction and their progress dictated a tow to safety. I found crew in Maui thru a friend and flew them over to O’ahu. We sailed across to Lanai and up to Lahaina, Maui. The winds in “the chute” between Maui and Molokai were blowing 35-40kts with moderate swells. We turned back to Lahaina to wait for the winds to die however they continued on. After discussion with our race director the team Pacific Warriors were inclined to take the tow as the weather became progressively heavier. We decided to attempt a passage up the channel with intention of turning back if the conditions became uncomfortably unsafe. We beat the wind and swells for three and one half hours in the dark with wind gusts up to 45kts and swells 6 feet plus crashing over the bow and rails in to the self bailing cockpit. Once outside the chute the winds backed down to 28-30kts and the seas lightened up for only the occasional rouge wave to drench us without warning. We reached the pacific Warriors by daylight as they were still on the fence to receive the tow. Thirty minutes later the radio cuts in “Galen Diana, we have decided to take the tow and come aboard”. To sum it up, we transferred their dry gear first, had them rig a towline, then began the wet person transfer from their boat “Limited Intelligence” to The Galen Diana. The wind was still blowing in the upper 20’s and the seas 4-6′ making it challenging to execute a safe ocean boarding. My past life as an Ocean Lifeguard lent to the success in that we had extensive training with boat rescues in my Jr Lifeguard days in San Clemente, Ca. Then graduating to a seven year paid professional Ocean Rescue Lifeguard in South Orange County, California. Timing is everything to avoid the stern of the boat to crash down on top of someone if they are off sync. Also swimming over to TGD on my command was critical due to the wind and current. I had to jump in to assist a struggling swimmer due to the hesitation after I yelled “GO”. All was good and we nailed it the second attempt. We got everyone on board, secured the towline, I fed them fresh fruit, bean burritos and cold beer. They were happy and we set sail back to Honolulu to beat Iselle.
You can view the videos of the ocean boarding on the “Galen Diana Sailing” Facebook Page
40 days and we arrive in Waikiki on August 2nd as an escort to team Fat Chance as they cross the line at Diamond head approx 0633 local time. 24 hours to clean, provision, good nights sleep. Say farewell to British Dave and Bristol Billy, it was amazing and wonderful to have you aboard. Good times and great guys and new friends. We picked up two locals from Maui my bud Jason hooked up. Sonja and Kabu. Real cool people and happy to have them with us. Sailing off from Waikiki to find Pacific Warriors and Boatylicious. Winds over 30kts right out of Oahu. We plan to navigate between Lanai, Molokai up past Kapalua, Maui then out 100nm from there. This leg will take us about a week then back in Waikiki on Friday, 8/8. My wife will be in around noon and I cant wait to see her. My 24 hours in Waikiki on land felt like an eternity as I was wanting to get back out on the seas. Noise, crowds, and stillness made me dizzy. So looking forward to the constant rocking and rolling, sounds of water running and splashing along the hull and quiet star lit nights.